Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sirloin Steak with Red Wine Sauce...mmmmmmm

Tonight I made some sirloin steak with a Red Wine sauce. I had never tried this before, but this was amazing so I thought I'd share the recipe. My notes are in Blue.



Steak with Wine Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 pounds beef steak, 3/4 to 1 inch thick, cut into 4 steaks, or 4 - 8 ounce steaks (I had a Sirloin Steak, I recommend using this on a tender steak like a sirloin, t-bone, rib eye, strip, tenderloin, etc)
1/2 cup beef bouillon or dry red wine (I used a Yellow Tail Cabernet Sauvignon, don't know how dry it is but it was great on the steak!)
2 tablespoons softened butter
salt and pepper (I used some Sea Salt I had and that added a great flavor as well)

Put the first amount of butter and the oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. When the butter has foamed and the foam then begins to subside, you are ready to cook the steak.
Fry the steaks on one side for 3- 4 minutes. Turn them and brown on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes, depending on desired degree of done-ness. Remove the steaks to a hot platter and season them with salt and pepper. Keep them warm while you make the sauce. (I had preheated my oven to 275 and kept the steaks warm in a 8x8 glass pan because that's all I had available).
Pour the fat from the skillet. Add the dry red wine (or beef bouillon) and cook over high heat. Scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and boil until the liquid is reduced almost to a syrup. Remove from the heat and stir in butter until it has melted. Pour the sauce over the steak to serve.


This is what it looks like just done (it would have looked nicer on a white plate, but this red one is currently the only platter I have)...




This is after I cut it up. The red in the middle wasn't actually that red, I just took it on my phone's camera that doesn't always accurately reproduce colors.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment